i. Course Information Course Code: GNs 230 Course Title: General Biology Level/Year Of Study: One Course Unit: 2 Credit Units …
i. Course Information
Course Code: GNs 230
Course Title: General Biology
Level/Year Of Study: One
Course Unit: 2 Credit Units
ii. Course Introduction and Description
This course is designed to introduce you to basic biological sciences and to make you understand the environment in which you live. It is also designed to develop your basic knowledge of biology as a science. General biology as a course introduces you to living things around you and your relationship with them. You will also learn the basic unit of living things including why and how living things are grouped. The course will also help you to identify the different features of different groups of living things. This will assist you in learning the interaction between an organism and its environment and to know the fundamentals of inheritance.
iii. Course Prerequisites
You are required to have the following to be qualified for this course.
1. 5 credits in “O” level certificate
2. An interest in science, your environment and nature.
3. Proficiency in English language
4. Proficiency in basic computer operations and online interaction
iv. Course Learning Resources
Falusi, O. A. (2003). Introductory Biology. Davies publishing co. Kaduna. Pp 46-48
Isah, S.E., Alli. I. and J.Y. Karago. (2012). Basic Concepts in Biology. Print point publishing Co. Kaduna. Pp 22 – 50
Nweze, C. (2004). Comprehensive Biology for Senior Secondary Schools. A Johnson Publishers Ltd, Lagos. Pp 97
Ramalingam, S. (2000). Modern Biology Africa – FEB Publishers Limited. Pp 205-209
Raven, H. and Johnson, B. (1989). Biology. Second Edition. St. Louis, Times Mirror/mosby College Publishing.
Roberts, M. B. V. (1983). Biology of Functional Approach. Third Edition. The English Language Book Society and Nelson. Butler and Tanner Ltd, Frome and London. Pp 47-50.
Stone, R. H., Cozens, A. B. and Ndu, F. O. C. (1999). New Biology for Senior Secondary Schools. Longman Group, UK Limited. Pp 282.
Suleiman, M. M. (2008). Revision notes in Biology. Spectrum Books Limited Ibadan. Pp 146-s148.
v. Course Outcome
On completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. Explain the concept of living things and the structure of cells
2. Identify the principal features of different groups of living things
3. Describe the method by which plants and animals feed and generate energy from their
4. Explain how plants and animals remove their waste products.
5. Explain how living things move
6. Describe how living things increase in size and number
7. Explain the interaction between an organism and its environment
8. Understand man’s interference with his environment.
9. Explain the fundamentals of biological inheritance.
vi. Activities to Meet Course Objectives
The course material has been simplified as much as possible for easy understanding especially for you who may not have had formal training in biology. You are expected to take your studies seriously by reading this course material very well with understanding. There will be online interaction, classwork, chatting and assignments. You are encouraged and expected to interact with each other, and also to have software applications (WhatsApp, Facebook, telegram etc.) and a functional email address on your device (phones, laptops, etc.)
- STUDY SESSION 1: INTRODUCTION TO BIOLOGY 00:40:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 1/SESSION 1/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- STUDY SESSION 2 ORGANISATION OF LIFE AND COMPLEXITY, DIAGRAM OF PLANT AND ANIMAL CELLS AND DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PLANTS AND ANIMAL CELLS 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 1/SESSION 2/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- STUDY SESSION 1 CLASSIFICATION OF LIVING ORGANISMS AND THE FOUR MAJOR DIVISIONS UNDER THE PLANT KINGDOM 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 2/SESSION 1/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- STUDY SESSION 2 CHARACTERISTICS OF EACH PHYLUM OF THE ANIMAL KINGDOM 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 2/SESSION 2/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- Study Session 1: Nutrition, Types of Nutrition and Classes of foodSTUDY SESSION 1 NUTRITION, TYPES OF NUTRITION AND CLASSES OF FOOD 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 3/SESSION 1/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- STUDY SESSION 2 NUTRITION IN MAMMALS 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 3/SESSION 2/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- STUDY SESSION 1 TRANSPORTATION OF SUBSTANCES IN PLANTS AND ANIMALS 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 5/SESSION 1/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- STUDY SESSION 1 SEXUAL AND ASEXUAL REPRODUCTION 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 7/SESSION 1/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days
- STUDY SESSION 2 SEXUAL REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS IN PLANTS AND ANIMALS, MODERN ADVANCES IN PLANT CULTURES AND METHODS OF MEASURING GROWTH IN LIVING THINGS 00:30:00
- GNS 230/MODULE 7/SESSION 2/ASSIGNMENT 1 week, 3 days